Watercolor Transfer Printing Process and Experience

Watercolor Process
Over the last couple of days, our graphic design class designed pictures that we wanted printed. I choose this because I wanted to see how the black and white background would look with a watercolor. First we had to design a picture in Adobe Illustrator and it could be anything even just a simple picture, which I choose this one because I thought it would look cool with the sky being the watercolor I choose. Second, I printed off my pictures and we got thick paper with starting to watercolor with the color that would contrast well with it. 

I decided on a blue green color, but then we let the paper with water color on dry. After that we started the transferring process, which involved using mod podge, a squeegee, and water. Once all of the papers were dry, I started the transferring your picture to the paper process and first you had to get many layers of mod podge onto your picture and make it look like you couldn't see your picture. Then you stuck it in the middle of the paper that you water colored on and make it centered as best as possible. 

After putting it on the paper, you used a squeegee to make the picture as smooth as possible to get the best result. When you made it smooth, you were done for the day and had to let it dry. Finally as it was dry and transferred over onto the other paper, we could start the final step in the process. You then used the water to complete the final product, all you had to was apply the water to your finger tips and rub onto your picture. Once your picture felt like a smooth surface and no paper, then you were done.

Reflection
Looking back at this project, I thought it was a fun experience to learn how you can do this and make a really cool product. I learned that you have to really apply pressure when you are rubbing off the paper. I struggled the most with getting all of the paper off and creating a smooth surface for a really good end product. I had to go back multiple times to get it where I wanted. I did really good with the part when you applied mod podge and made it smooth with a squeegee. My favorite part was when we got to see our end result with the glossy finish on it. If I could choose to do this project again, I probably would because its a fun activity to do!

Comments